Saturday, June 20, 2009

WHY WE MINISTER

He Must Increase, But I Must Decrease

John 3:30

I would far rather publish the good writings of my brothers and sisters than to seek glory for myself by always being the one doing the writing, or the preaching. Let Him who “ever lives to make intercession for us” (Hebrews 7:25), receive any glory that comes from these feeble publishing efforts. To paraphrase George Whitefield “Let the name of Woodruff perish, but Christ be glorified!”. I only let you know who I am so that I may be of service to you in Jesus Christ. Cw

As George Whitefield himself said:

“Unloose my stammering tongue to tell, Thy Love immense, unsearchable”.


Stage Christianity (from a letter of Samuel Rutherford).

Now, Madam, let me tell you that most people only have a stage Christianity. They consider it to be a mask easily put on or taken off. I myself thought it would be an easy thing to be a Christian, and that seeking God would only be like a jaunt next door. But O the windings, the turnings, the ups and downs that He has led me through! And even so, it still seems as if it will be a long way to the shore.** "Shore" is a common image for death. (Here Rutherford thinks of death as the culmination of God's purposes for him. When he is with Christ in heaven, all the turnings of his life will be shown to be meaningful). Excerpt from Letters of Samuel Rutherford; letter 104 to Madame Kenmure; March 7, 1637; in modern words from http://www.puritansermons.com/ruth/ruth3f2.htm


C. H. SPURGEON'S FIRST WORDS at the Tabernacle

March 25, 1861From the Sermon "The First Sermon in the Tabernacle"

MTP Vol 7, pg. 169, Acts 5:10

I WOULD PROPOSE THAT THE SUBJECT OF THE MINISTRY IN THIS HOUSE, AS LONG AS THIS PLATFORM SHALL STAND, AND AS LONG AS THIS HOUSE SHALL BE FREQUENTED BY WORSHIPPERS, SHALL BE THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST. I AM NEVER ASHAMED TO AVOW MYSELF A CALVINIST; I DO NOT HESITATE TO TAKE THE NAME OF BAPTIST; BUT IF I AM ASKED WHAT IS MY CREED, I REPLY "IT IS JESUS CHRIST."

MY VENERATED PREDECESSOR, DR. GILL, HAS LEFT A BODY OF DIVINITY, ADMIRABLE AND EXCELLENT IN ITS WAY; BUT THE BODY OF DIVINITY TO WHICH I WOULD PIN & BIND MYSELF FOR EVER, GOD HELPING ME, IS NOT HIS SYSTEM, OR ANY OTHER HUMAN TREATISE; BUT JESUS CHRIST, WHO IS THE SUM & SUBSTANCE OF THE GOSPEL, WHO IS IN HIMSELF ALL THEOLOGY, THE INCARNATION OF EVERY PRECIOUS TRUTH, THE ALL-GLORIOUS PERSONAL EMBODIMENT OF THE WAY, THE TRUTH, & THE LIFE.


No comments: