(Today I am sharing with you two brief articles by J. C. Ryle, the great Anglican archbishop of Liverpool for most of the nineteenth century. He was a man who stood without apology for the gospel preached in the old time way of the apostles. He was in a church that was largely formal, yet he stood against that. He declared Christ with an astounding clarity. He was beloved of true believers in his time, and ours. Oh, how we need men of like character in our day!)
1. Substitute anything for Christ, and the Gospel is totally spoiled!
2. Add anything to Christ, and the Gospel ceases to be a pure Gospel!
3. Put anything between a person and Christ, and that person will neglect Christ for that very thing!
4. Spoil the proportions of Christ’s Gospel, and you spoil its efficacy!
5. Evangelical religion must be the Gospel, the whole Gospel and nothing but the Gospel