Thursday, June 06, 2013

REFORMED THEOLOGY-SOLA SCRIPTURA

      •                                             By Charles Woodruff

        The Arminian doctrine of election states that God looked into the future, and chose those people who were going to choose Him, making salvation rely ultimately on their choice. In Romans 8 the Greek word for 'foreknow' means 'to know beforehand', 'forlove', or 'foreappoint'. It does not mean 'look into the future'. The Arminian absurdly believes that God looked into the future to gain knowledge that He did not have from His creations. But, no being can choose Christ until Christ is revealed to him by the Lord. "He must increase, but I must decrease" (John 3:30).

        I would far rather publish the good writings of my brothers and sisters than to seek glory for myself by always being the one doing the writing, or the preaching. However, I do have a few things to say to people. But let Him who “ever lives to make intercession for us” (Hebrews 7:25), receive any glory that comes from these feeble publishing efforts. To paraphrase George Whitefield “Let the name of Woodruff perish, but Christ be glorified!” I only let you know who I am so that I may be of service to you in Jesus Christ.

        As George Whitefield himself also said: “Unloose my stammering tongue to tell, Thy Love immense, unsearchable.” He truly was a man who declared unashamedly Christ and Him crucified. How we need men like him today, but alas, there are few. God give us 'truth preachers' today so that men and women will hear and be saved. Amen!

        TRUTH REVEALED AND TRUTH CONCEALED                                                                

        “At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes.” Matthew 11:25. Jesus’ words here show us: To some sinners truth is revealed; To some it is hidden and concealed. If it is truly revealed, God alone can reveal it. May He be pleased to reveal it to us.

        WARNING OF AN UNCHANGING GOSPEL                                                                          

        This is a warning I hope we all take to heart. As people of The Word, we have to ask ourselves how we can really expect to improve on a perfect model. Cautiously I will say that some new ways of applying the unchanging biblical principles are fine…we need to be able to communicate with 21st Century culture, but we must not abandon the heart of the Gospel and basics of authentic discipleship in the process. Sadly, this is happening in our time. We must stick with the true word and gospel of the Bible. It has not changed! It is still the same. May God reveal it to you!

        WHICH BOOK IS THE TRUTH?                                                                                               

        Since most things mankind learns is from books, why would men say that God’s book is untrue? The burden of proof is on them, for they are saying some other writings by Bible denying atheists are truer than the Bible. They are actually saying, in effect, that other books are greater, more accurate, more infalliable than the Bible. The Bible claims to be the word of God; accurate; infalliable. Put it to the test! If you will sincerely do that, you will find that indeed it is true, completely true!

        OUR ESCHATOLOGY                                                                                                                 

        A lot of eschatology and much of our theology in general, will be straightened out when Christ comes.We obviously do not have to totally agree how, and when, Jesus will return, and on all the signs of it. But, if we are saved, we must agree that He is going to return. I believe from what I read in the scripture that His return will be soon. It is a serious thing. You need to be ready and looking for Him. Don't be found surprised and not ready. "Unto them that look for Him shall He appear the second time without sin unto salvation."(Hebrews 9:28)

        FROM JOHN NEWTON ON DEPRAVITY                                                                                 

        “Although my memory’s fading, I remember two things very clearly: I am a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior.” “I am not what I ought to be. I am not what I want to be. I am not what I hope to be. But still, I am not what I used to be. And by the grace of God I am what I am.” (Both from John Newton) 

        UNIVERSALISM ANYONE?                                                                

        A Universal Notice- “God —now commandeth all men everywhere to Repent.” Acts 17:30. A Universal Necessity—–“As it is written, there is none righteous, no, not one.” Romans 3:10 (cp. With Psalm 14:1 and Psalm 53:1). A Universal Neglect—-“There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God”. Romans 3:11 (cp with Psalm 14:2 and Psalm 53:2). 

        LORD, HIGH AND HOLY, MEEK AND LOWLY, Thou hast brought me to the valley of vision, where I live in the depths but see thee in the heights; hemmed in by mountains of sin I behold thy glory. Let me learn by paradox that the way down is the way up, that to be low is to be high, that the broken heart is the healed heart, that the contrite spirit is the rejoicing spirit, that the repenting soul is the victorious soul, that to have nothing is to possess all, that to bear the cross is to wear the crown, that to give is to receive, that the valley is the place of vision. Lord, in the daytime stars can be seen from deepest wells, and the deeper the wells the brighter thy stars shine; Let me find thy light in my darkness, thy life in my death, thy joy in my sorrow, thy grace in my sin, thy riches in my poverty, thy glory in my valley.                                                                                                                  From: The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers and devotions, By Arthur Bennett, Introductory page. Banner of Truth, Edinburgh, 1975 

No comments: